Thursday 24 November 2011

sausages made easy

Job done for the year with a bit more time on my hands I made some delicious Christmas flavour sausages



I can’t make sausages, you need special expensive equipment and you can’t get the skins in the shops.

Well the reality of it is all you need is a hand mincer, with a sausage stuffing nozzle and a friendly butcher (for the skins). You can buy the skins on the internet fairly cheaply, I find the collagen ones great, not much work come in different sizes and there the same one’s most butchers use. (I know I’m leaving myself open to a few smart comments after them last few lines but I’ll get over itJ
This is all you need to get going!


There are hundreds of recipes out there the only limit is your imagination. I have tried veggie, curry, beef, turkey, and many pork ones. And last but not least desert sausages (apple crumble) but I want to just share my top five recipes with you.

1 my all-time favourite

Turkey cheese sizzlers

Ingredients:

500g turkey meat

250g bacon (I buy bacon misshapes/cooking bacon in lidl €1.99 for 1 kg)

200g of cheese use your favourite

1 tablespoon of pepper

3 tablespoon of mixed herbs

2 gloves of garlic

1 chilli (leave seeds in if you want a real kick)

Method:

Mince the turkey and bacon; mix all the ingredients in a bowl, and were nearly done.

I find it best to try some of the meat at this stage, make a small Pattie and fry check for seasoning add extra if needed,  

To make the sausage, remove the blade from the mincer, and add the sausage stuffing nozzle. Tread the skins over the nozzle and start add the mix back into the mincer turn the handle too fill the skins (don’t forget to tie a knot in the skin). Make sure not to over fill the skin as they will burst when cooking. I like to let the sausages sit for at least a few hours to let the flavours develop. Cook as per normal

Christmas day sausage (Christmas dinner in one bite)

 Ingredients:

500g turkey meat

250g bacon (I buy bacon misshapes/cooking bacon in lidl €1.99 for 1 kg)

2 tablespoons of cranberry sauce  

1 Large minced onion

3 tablespoon of mixed herbs

2 gloves of garlic

Method as above  

My Little helper Jack

Apple, Sage & Fennel Breakfast Sausage

1-tbsp vegetable oil

2-tart cooking apples, peeled, cored, and diced 1/4"

1-bunch scallions, thinly sliced with white & green parts divided

1kg minced pork

1/2-cup loosely packed fresh sage, finely chopped

1 1/2-tsp fennel seeds, crushed or lightly chopped

1-tsp salt

1-tsp freshly ground black pepper

Method:

Heat oil over medium heat, Add the apples and scallion whites, Cook until apples are soft and starting to brown about 5-8 minutes, Let cool for 10 minutes, Combine all ingredients. Follow steps above to fill the sausage skin.


Garlic Rosemary Sausage


1.5kgs minced pork

1 kg minced beef

3-tsp sugar

2-tsp white pepper

1 ½-tbsp salt

3-tbsp minced garlic

1-cup chopped fresh parsley

1-tbsp powdered rosemary

2-tsp chilli flakes

2-tsp cayenne

Method:

Combine all ingredients and stuff into skins as above


Curry sausage with a difference



1 kg minced pork

1-tbsp salt

½ tbsp. ground white pepper

1-tsp ginger

1-tbsp nutmeg

1-tbsp thyme

4- tbsp. Pataks Tikka Masala paste

Method:

As above

No comments:

Post a Comment